By Douglas Cazaux Sackman
A better half to American Environmental History gathers jointly a entire number of over 30 essays that study the evolving and various box of yankee environmental history.
- Provides an entire historiography of yank environmental history
- Brings the sector up to date to mirror the newest traits and encourages new instructions for the field
- Includes the paintings of path-breaking environmental historians, from the founders of the sector, to contributions from cutting edge younger scholars
- Takes inventory of the self-discipline via 5 topically themed components, with essays starting from American Indian Environmental kinfolk to towns and Suburbs
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Environmental History PDF
Similar environmental economics books
As humanity presses down inexorably at the flora and fauna, humans debate the level to which we will be able to retailer the Earth's thousands of alternative species with no sacrificing human monetary welfare. yet is that this argument clever? needs to the human and typical worlds be adversaries? during this ebook, ecologist Michael Rosenzweig reveals that ecological technological know-how truly rejects such polarization.
The residing assets of California's rivers and coastal waters are one of the such a lot assorted and efficient on this planet. in addition they provide a laboratory instance of the mismanagement and waste that experience attended the cost and improvement of the North American continent. The Fisherman's challenge is a research of the interplay between source ecology, monetary company, and legislations within the historical past of the California fishing undefined.
- Working Toward Sustainability: Ethical Decision-Making in a Technological World
- Small-Scale Biomass Gasifiers for Heat and Power: A Global Review (World Bank Technical Paper)
- Listen to the Land: Conservation Conversations
- Health for All Agriculture and Nutrition, Bioindustry and Environment: Analyses and Recommendations
- Marine biotechnology and developing countries
Extra resources for A Companion to American Environmental History
The lines between these schools of thought were not always clear. Indeed, enthusiasm for wilderness solitude on the one hand and wilderness destruction on the other often waxed in the same individuals, simultaneously. When Frederic Law Olmsted proposed protecting the Yosemite Valley from mining and timber felling, he was supervising those two activities himself as manager of a near-by gold mine (Hickman, forthcoming). So the growing reputation of the Sierra as romantic retreat ran headlong into the expanding exploitation that was rapidly changing them.
69–90. Crosby, Alfred. 1972. The Columbian Exchange: The Biological and Cultural Consequences of 1492.
Your lightweight gear is manufactured from petroleum-based synthetics and high-energy products like aluminum and plastic. If your equipment was not made in the City of Angels, it likely came through there (LA’s port is now the biggest in the nation). 18 L O U I S S . WA R R E N Moreover, your gear and your food are processed with petroleum – in fact, food production with its combines, petroleum-derived fertilizers, and longdistance transport requires more fossil fuel energy than the food itself conveys to you in calories.